The architectural history of the Barrack Master’s House is gradually being revealed as the cement render is removed at #Ebrington #StarFort
We’re told that this doorway was created to allow royal visitors to the Bishop’s Palace direct access to Grand Parade and the Derry Walls. It’s great that it is now reopened for its original purpose, for visitors both royal and humble. Hopefully, better steps and signage can be added.
Shipquay Gate decked out with Union flags, White Ensigns and surprisingly a Stars and Stripes. A ceremonial arch visible on the quay adorned with initials of the King and Queen, Edward VII and Alexandra. The royal visitors came to the Guildhall on 28th July 1903. The royal yacht had disembarked them at Buncrana and they travelled to Derry by train, arriving at the Middle Quay Station. After lunch in the Guildhall, the royal party planted trees at Brooke Park before returning to Buncrana. The photograph could have been taken at 2.10pm and the fashionably-dressed men and women in the photograph appear to be dispersing? Phillips had a hoarding attached to the City Walls, advertising their pianos and music. Any information about the provenance of the photograph would be appreciated.
We’re collecting images of the Derry Walls as depicted in old postcards and old advertising material. If you’ve any interesting examples, let us know. Here is a selection of old postcards of Bishop’s Gate.